||Please click here for available workshops.
||Please click here for the available software in the computer rooms.
||Please click here for the available hardware in the computer rooms.
Interesting Information (latest news on top, last updated 8/21/12, there will be no more updates) - Categorized Achive
- Article - How long would it take to crack your password? by Lisa Vaas
- Article - Inside Facebook security: defending users from spammers, hackers, and 'likejackers' By Ellis Hamburger
- Article - Business trips abroad could endanger your computer data by Mitch Lipka
- Blog - Notifying users affected by the DNSChanger malware posted by Damian Menscher, Security Engineer
- Article - The Unseen Security Dangers in Financial Web Sites by Alan Wlasuk
- Article - Nine Major Ways Criminals Use Facebook by Michael B. Sauter, Adam Poltrack and Ashley C. Allen
- Infographic - Free Wi-Fi: Friend or Foe? by Fergal Glynn
- Article - Social Media: Still A Popular Hunting Ground for Cyber Criminals by Steve Ragan
- Article - Kaspersky performing independent security analysis on OS X by Jacqui Cheng
- Announcement 5/8/12 - Malware Installed on Travelers' Laptops Through Software Updates on Hotel Internet Connections by FBI
- Article - Hackerproof: Your Guide to PC Security by Matt Smith
- Article - Hands-on with five antivirus apps for the Mac by Jacqui Cheng
- Article - Kaspersky performing independent security analysis on OS X (Updated) The firm's CTO says Apple asked for help—and at just the right time. by Jacqui Cheng
- Article - Apple Changes Security Playbook With Flashback Response by Matthew J. Schwartz
- Article - Global Payments Breach Window Expands by KrebsOnSecurity
- Article - Hotmail remote password reset 0-day bug found, patched by Help Net Security
- Article - Phishing victims' losses are own fault - court by The Local
- Article - The NSA Is Building the Country's Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say) by James Bamford
- Instructional Resource - Khan Academy
- Article - Mobile, internet & identity safety (be aware that this is a UK site!)
- Report - Google Wallet hacked again, no root access required by Taylor Wimberly
- Article - Defending Privacy at the U.S. Border: A Guide for Travelers Carrying Digital Devices
- Article - SOPA and PIPA: Just the Facts by Jared Newman
- Article - Top Ten Cyber Security Trends for Financial Services in 2012 by Booz Allen
- Article - Exclusive: Millions of printers open to devastating hack attack, researchers say by Bob Sullivan
- Article - Man-made super-flu could kill half humanity by Autonomous non-profit organization (ANO) "TV-Novosti", Channel "RT TV"
- Article - Think You Can Hide, Anonymous Blogger? Two Words: Google Analytics by Andy Baio
- Article - Which phones, networks run Carrier IQ mobile tracking software? by Zack Whittaker
- Article - There's still a lot we don't know about Carrier IQ by John Moe
- Article - BUSTED! Secret app on millions of phones logs key taps by Dan Goodin
- Article - How I was hacked – a tale of hijack, XBox Live and FIFA trading cards by Dan Crawley
- Article - New Facebook feature lets you exist at all moments in your life simultaneously by John Moe
- Article - PIPA, SOPA and OPEN: Three acronyms that could change the Internet by John Moe
- Article - The Impact of the iPad on K-12 Schools by Tanya Roscorla
- Article - 4 Ways to Prepare Teachers for Technology Integration by Tanya Roscorla
- Article - This is how Windows get infected with malware by Peter Kruse
- Article - Skype for iPhone makes stealing address books a snap by Dan Goodin
- Software - Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper
- Article - Mobile banking: Will you be hacked?
- Article - Is Social Media Pushing E-Mail to Extinction? by News Staff
- Question, Video - Can a 1964 Modem Still Connect to the Internet? by news staff of Government Technology
- Article - Botnet is both massive and sneaky by John Moe
- Question - According to a new study, how much digital data currently exists? by Chad Vander Veen
- Website - Recommended Items to Include in a Basic Emergency Supply Kit by the US government
- Article - Dropbox left document storage accounts open for four hours by Jeremy Kirk
- Article - What is Google hiding from you? by John Moe
- Article - San Francisco Picks Microsoft Cloud for Enterprise E-Mail by Sarah Rich
- Article - Google Takes NOAA as Battle for E-Mail Market Continues by Sarah Rich
- Article - More On Publisher Greed by Ulf Wolf
- Article - 'Epic' Corruption in New York CityTime System Uncovered by News Staff of Government Technology
- Article - ICANN Domain Rule Changes Usher in Unlimited Possibilities by Chad Vander Veen
- Video - How to change Facebook Facial Recognition Settings by Jeff Jackson
- Article - Facebook's Facial Recognition Flops, If the cutting-edge technology can't detect your face most of the time, what do you have to fear? by Megan Geuss and Sarah Jacobsson Purewal
- Article - Study: National Broadband Map Doesn't Include All Carriers or Coverage by Sarah Rich
- Article - World IPv6 Day Should Bring Surprises and Valuable Data by Matt Williams
- Website - Copyright at CUNY
- Book - Internet Security Book for Kids, Teens, and Adults: Own Your Space by Linda McCarthy
- The Multimedia Center of the School of Education (2 pages; pdf file)
- The CCNY E-Mail and CUNY Portal (3 pages; pdf file)
- Using Blackboard (2 pages; pdf file)
- Using the iPod Nano with Video (1 page; pdf file)
- Microsoft Office Handouts by California State University, Los Angeles: MS Office 2007, 2003, 2002 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, etc.) for different levels: Introduction, Intermediate and Advanced
- Using the CCNY Server Space with Secure Shell 3.0 for Windows (10 pages; pdf file)
- How to install Secure Shell 3.0 for Windows (SSH) (33 pages; pdf file)
- Notes on Website Design (1 page; pdf file)
- Inspiration 8.0 tutorials (videos, webcasts, etc.) a visual graphic program by Inspiration Software, Inc.
- Using e-mail via the CCNY account (7 pages; pdf file)
- Search the Internet (4 pages; pdf file)
- Research with the Internet (1 page; pdf file)
- Introduction to Computers (4 pages; pdf file)
- PDF Handouts for several software applications by Baseline Access, Training and Support at San Diego State University: Operating Systems, MS Office 2007, 2003, 2000; Adobe Photoshop CS, 5.5; etc.
- How To Guides by catalyst, University of Washington
- TaskStream topics
- How to set up your ePortfolio Account in Epsilen (4 pages; pdf file)
- Internet Security Book for Kids, Teens, and Adults: Own Your Space by Linda McCarthy
- Online Dictionary for computer terms.
- TaskStream Information
- Search engines:
- Educational search engines:
- Ask ERIC - the Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC)
- Search engines designed for children:
- KidsClick - web search for children made by librarians.
- Yahooligans - search engine for children by Yahoo.com.
- Evaluating website information:
- Acceptable Use Policies by Virginia Department of Education, Division of Technology - their meaning and example policies.
- W3 Schools.com - tutorials on different web scripting languages from beginner to advance levels.
- Mac Viruses, Malware, Spyware, etc.
- Online Writing Lab - handouts for teachers and students. Topics:
General Writing Concerns (Planning/Writing/Revising/Genres), Research and Documenting Sources, Punctuation, Spelling and Capitalization, etc.
- CCNY and CUNY Resources - the City College directory of campus libraries.
- The Internet Public Library - contains over 40,000 annotated web resources about different topics (e.g. Astronomy, Education, etc.).
- Librarian's Internet Index - an annotated subject directory of Internet resources selected and evaluated by librarians.
- Schoenberg Center for Electronic Text and Image - special Collections Library to provide the scholarly community with web access to virtual facsimiles of original texts, documents, and sources from Penn's collections.
- The United States Library of Congress - the Library preserves a collection of nearly 121 million items, more than two-thirds of which are in media other than books. These include the largest map, film, and television collections in the world.
- Project Gutenberg - free online books.
- SearchBiblio.com - find used, rare, and out-of-print books.
School of Education ePortfolio samples
For information about ePortfolios of the School of Education please click here.