CRIME PREVENTION ALERT NOTICES
Crime Prevention Alert Notices are issued to advise members of the College community of any recent significant incidents of criminal activity reported on or near the City College of New York (CCNY) campus.
REPORTED INCIDENTS NOVEMBER 2012:
The CCNY Department of Public Safety has received reports from the New York City Police Department of recent off-campus Robberies where the victim's property was taken, specifically cellular telephones.
On November 17, 2012, the 26th Precinct received at report that at approximately 7:25 P.M., a male victim was approached by three (3) unidentified males while walking to campus and talking on his phone. The male suspects assaulted the male victim and fled the area with the cellular telephone.
On November 21, 2012, the 30th Precinct received two (2) separate incident reports of victims being assaulted and robbed of their cellular phones while walking to campus.
Incident #1, a female victim reported that at approximately 2:30 P.M., she was walking in the area of 137th Street and Broadway while talking on her cellular telephone. A male suspect attempted to take the cellular from her hand and a struggle ensued causing the suspect to flee without the phone. A short time later the suspect was apprehended by uniformed patrol NYPD officers based on a description provided by the victim.
Incident #2. a male victim reported that at approximately 7:30 A.M., he was waking to campus from the subway on Convent Avenue between 142nd and 143rd Streets when he was approached by a male suspect described as being 5'8" tall, thin build, and wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt. The male suspect produced what appeared to be a firearm and the victim surrendered his cellular phone, wallet and other property to the suspect. The suspect immediately fled the area leaving the victim unharmed.
The NYPD is actively investigating these incidents, if you have information regarding these crimes; please call the CCNY Department of Public Safety at (212) 650-6911 or NYPD Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.
Students, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to report any suspicious activity immediately.
Crime Prevention Tips:
- Stay alert to your surroundings and the people around you.
- Limit use of cellular phones, PDA's and I-Pod like devices while traveling.
- Keep your keys separate from your purse or backpack.
- Pay attention to your surroundings – keep valuables out of sight.
- Travel in groups and avoid going out alone at night.
- Plan the safest route to your destination; choose well lighted, busy pathways and streets.
- Use of the college shuttle bus service to travel to and from campus to local subway stops. The status and location of the college bus can be tracked in real-time via NEXTBUS video displays located at the main entrances to the NAC and Marshak buildings. The bus can also be tracked on-line or via smart phone.
For more information please visit the CCNY NEXTBUS website at: http://broadcast.ccny.cuny.edu/lyris/nextbus.jp
Secure Your Bike
- Always lock your bike's frame and wheels with a high-quality lock and chain or U-lock (with a high security barrel or flat key) that is warranted by the manufacturer against theft. (CLICK HERE FOR EXAMPLES OF LOCKS)
- Always lock your bike, even if you're just leaving it for a moment.
- Always lock your bike's frame and wheels with a high-quality lock and chain or U-lock (with a high security barrel or flat key).
- Remove all detachable items like lights, bags and quick release parts and take them with you.
- Lock to a bike rack, or off campus to firmly affixed (bolts covered in concrete) parking meter or light pole - these are the most secure places. NYC law prohibits securing bikes to trees or NYC subway stairs.
- Record your bike's serial number and keep the receipt of purchase on file.On Campus Resources.
- Register your bicycle with NYPD/CCNY Public Safety at scheduled crime prevention days or by appointment - call (212) 650-6911.
- Utilize authorized bicycle racks located in front of Marshak Building and in the 138th Street Alleyway (rear of Wingate Hall).
- If you notice any suspicious activity contact Public Safety via Blue Light Emergency Phone Stations or (212) 650-7777.
In an emergency, contact the Public Safety Department Emergency Dispatch Center at (212) 650-7777
or via any "blue light" emergency telephone on campus. Dial 911
to contact the NYPD.
SIGN-UP NOW FOR CUNY ALERT/CCNY!
Receive text or voice alerts of emergencies of weather related closings at CCNY via cell or home phone and email. Stay Alert - Sign up today.